Friday 22 March 2013

Berte Jessen-Royal Copenhagen

Candle Holder, Royal Copenhagen


 I have a collection of Royal Copenhagen ceramics from the 1960s and 1970s.  The vase above is one of my favourite pieces.  It was designed by a woman by the name of Berte Jessen.  I love her colourful abstracted designs based on nature and the colours are gorgeous blues and purples.  These pieces are all individual as all are hand painted, each one having slightly different colours and textures.  Royal Copenhagen pieces from this era are made by a number of different artists, Berte being just one of them. I bought this vase at the antique and collectable fair but I have seen similar ones on ebay.  My candle holder (also by B Jessen) is damaged but such a fantastic piece I could not leave it.
It is worth picking up these ceramics if you see them, they are very collectable and really beautiful things.

Ink drawing of part of my Royal Copenhagen collection
this is one of my artworks.  I have cut out the streets on a map to make the design

No comments:

Post a Comment