Monday 15 April 2013

Chair stories-Knoll chairs


Knoll chairs, gouache on printed page by me

These Knoll chairs were designed in the 1950s.  Knoll is an American company but these were made under license in Australia.  I would guess that these chairs were manufactured in the 1990s.  They were originally purchased by the Sydney American Club and there is a numbered sticker underneath with this information.
I bought these chairs on E-Bay.  Each chair was in a separate auction and I bid on the two.  I left bids on each chair and returned home to find I was successful buying one and missed out on the other.  Luckily,the seller informed me he had a third chair and did I want two.  I did and bought them for $500. each  That is a hefty sum but to buy them new would be nearly $3000 each.
These chairs have their original red felted wool upholstery which is in beautiful condition.  They add a splash of colour to my room and are comfortable too,

1 comment:

  1. Love those Knoll chairs painted(by you)in gouache!

    ReplyDelete