This building is part of Sydney Hospital on Macquarie St.
Sydney Hospital is Australia's oldest hospital, dating from 1788 and has been at it's current location since 1811.
Soon after the first fleet arrived, a tent hospital was established in the Rocks. This was replaced by a wood and copper prefabricated building which came from England.
When Governor Macquarie arrived in 1810 he set land aside to build a hospital. In order to fund it he gave 3 business men the monopoly to sell rum and the profits from this were to build the hospital.
Later Florence Nightingale sent 5 nurses from England to help run the infirmary and these were the first trained nurses in this country.