Sunday 19 May 2013

Chelsea Flower Show

Chrysanthemums in Gouache  on map of London by me
The green chrysanthemums from last week are still looking good this weekend so thought I would use some colour in another drawing.  I liked the graphic red in the map in contrast with the graphic green in the flowers.  Since it is a map of the city of London and I was drawing flowers it reminded me of the Chelsea Flower show which is coming up in a day or two.


Chelsea Flower show has been a highlight of every garden lover's calendar for the past 100 years.  It is held in the grounds of Chelsea Hospital in London and is the flower show most associated with the Royal family who always attend the opening.  They limit the number of visitors and 157 thousand see it every year.  It runs from May 21 to 25.  I have never been but think it would be great to see.






Chelsea rules forbid the use of coloured sculptures so garden gnomes have been forbidden throughout it's history. One frequent exhibitor Jekka McVicar used to smuggle a gnome into her exhibits.  Sorry no pictures of that but I love the reclining nude to the right.  That grass is effective for the hair.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy, I also love the reclining nude - hmmm, I think I might have just the spot to create one of those! Now that sounds like fun! Truly though, I love it!

    ReplyDelete