Monday 7 September 2015

More about old Petrol Stations

   
                                   

The sketch group met at this favourite old petrol station of mine, in King St, Newtown, Sydney.  This is the third time I have sketched this place.  Although not included in the sketch is a chain link fence around it, making us worry it will be torn down.  Someone came around and said there used to be a glass elevator inside  which has now gone. She spoke about an amazing interior which is now in ruin.
This is a Spanish Mission style service station built in 1928.


         

This truck parked along side the garage but unfortunately it showed up after I had finished my sketch.  I drew it quickly before it disappeared again.


         

I bought these old Matchbox cars, made in England at a market recently.  These were sold at service stations (amongst other places, of course) and I thought they were a nice " go with".


No comments:

Post a Comment