Saturday 6 September 2014

Marrakech

Marrakech is the first city in Morrocco that I am visiting and it is where the tour begins. I had an idea of what this city would look like but it is not that so much.  I thought it would be a hilly place with tall stone buildings.  Actually it seems quite flat and the buildings are not tall except for the hotels and shopping centres. The traffic is astounding, very few traffic lights and cars going everywhere.  As a pedestrian a person takes their life in their hands crossing the street.  The cars are parked everywhere including around the corners. 
Every building is pink which is interesting.
I went to the main square which is very lively at night. During the day it is a market place.  It was great to see the donkeys pulling the carts of goods.  They were selling nuts and pulses as well as the crafts they make here like woven cloth, metal work , leather and silver jewellery.
I had a mint tea and sketched a little bit of a lane with merchants selling, people buying and chatting.
People were keeping an eye on me working and the guy in the left foreground kept posing.  I was able to fit him in...mostly.

I arrived yesterday and the hotel wIhere we are staying with the tour was full so I was booked in with a traditional place nearby.  The decor was very interesting with animal print bedspreads and drapes on the bed.  I couldn't resist doing a sketch of it.  It screamed Morrocco!

No comments:

Post a Comment