Sunday 25 August 2013

Tom Thomson




Northern River Marsh


Tom Thomson 1877-1917
Recently someone asked me where I was from in Canada.  When I replied I was from northern Ontario he asked if that was any where near the "wilderness" of Canada.  It hit me that actually I was from "the wilderness" of Canada- that wild landscape of Precambrian shield, shaped by glaciers, of lakes, forests, rocks and hills.  It is a place where the landscape and the climate really effect our lives.
One of the first Canadian artists to portray this rugged landscape, as it really existed, was Tom Thomson.  He grew up in Ontario and loved the lifestyle of hunting, fishing and camping.  Thomson spent months on end alone in the bush painting the sky, swamps, the pines in all seasons and time of day.  It was a new way of seeing the place in the early 1900s and it still looks quite modern today. 
He died young in a drowning accident but his work has lived on and loved by many especially those who know northern Ontario.



Cedars and Pines

The Jack Pine

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Nancy, I have a book on him and his wonderful art. I love his gutsy brush marks! A great favourite of mine. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete