Thursday 14 February 2013

Wardell



Artists are most often inspired by their own interests and what is around them.  In this series of etchings, which I completed while doing my masters at COFA, my interest in local history as well as the urban landscape  was combined.





These etchings are inspired by an event taking place in local colonial history.  On a Sunday morning in 1828, Dr Wardell left his wife and children in the city to check out his land holdings in Marrickville.  He rode his white stallion to the Cooks River where he came across a primitive hut and three convicts on his land.  The meeting resulted in the murder of Dr Wardell.  He was found a day or two later where Ruby St Marrickville is now, covered in brambles so wild dogs would not interfere.

One of the convicts involved in the event gave information to the police which lead to the arrest of the other two.  A court case followed and two convicts were hung in front of a huge crowd.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely Nancy - thanks for sharing these wonderful etchings! Chere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    I found my previous comment accidently submitted twice about the lotte drawings - so it did work. I love the second last etching - is that the horse in a modern Marrickville ?
    The burnishing marks give it a raw energy - I want to etch again !
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete