Saturday 17 January 2015

Mechanic Apprentice


               

I enjoyed sketching this old service station because of it's colour and design.  It was open so I went in to find out more about the place.  The owner kept telling me that it was really old, hundreds of years evidently..  Personally, I think it must have been built around 1930.   He did tell me to look up a guy at Hurlstone Park that knew about the history.
I caught up with the fellow yesterday who said his father had been a mechanic apprentice at the yellow place.  In the 1950's the father had bought the service station below and the son still owns and works here.
                This is a much older building, colonial, may 1850.  It was a baby health centre before it was turned into a service station.  Now it sells petrol but mostly runs as a taxi centre.
When sketching this one a few of the taxi drivers came out.  One of them wants to commission me to paint his portrait,  only make him look more attractive than he is.  The other driver gave me a tip on the location of another old service station.  Yea!
The yellow service station is on Canterbury Road, Campsie and the White one is on New Canterbury Road, Hurlstone Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment