Monday 29 December 2014

Service Stations in the inner west, Sydney

    
                

This service station was built between the wars and is on a busy road in Canterbury.  It sits right on the sidewalk so not much room to get your car off the road.  I happened to get my car serviced here recently.

                                                                      

I often pass this old service station which is no longer trading but the "bowser" or petrol pump is still there right on the sidewalk. It is rusty and obviously not useful any longer.  I like that it is still there giving us a clue to the building's history.

                 

This is a very nice old petrol station, now a garage, located on the Princes Hwy at St Peters.

Service stations became about between the wars when people started buying cars in greater numbers.  I think in the early days you bought petrol at shops like the chemist or the grocers.  These old buildings are hard to find these days, often torn down for redevelopment.  I hope to find some more for this series.




      

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy, it's difficult for me to get onto the internet at the moment - so many tourists here! However, managed to get through today and really enjoyed your pics of old garages etc. Sounds as though you are very busy! Cheers, Chere

    ReplyDelete