Friday 1 August 2014

Australian Museum

Australian Museum, Sydney-watercolour and pencil
The Australian Museum has been on the go for 180 years in various Sydney buildings but in 1857, a purpose built home opened.  The architect was Mortimer Lewis and there was just one exhibition gallery on William St opposite Hyde Park.  Since then the museum has been modified many times to accommodate the collections and exhibitions.  It still continues today in it's dual role of research and education.
Sydney Urban Sketchers met at the museum today.  It was a cold but sunny day, nice if sitting in the sun, protected from the wind.  I sat on a busy corner sketching the above drawing.  There was a little car accident in front of me and my friends blamed me but it really wasn't my fault....truly!

No comments:

Post a Comment