Saturday 26 January 2013

Purply Black Eggplant



I was reminded the other day that right now in Sydney it is peak season for summer fruit and vegetable.  Nature’s bounty is so darn good looking that I find I want to buy stuff just to enjoy it’s splendour.   At my local supermarket I was particularly struck with how beautiful the eggplant were, not a blemish on them, purply black, dark, dark skin and stems that were nearly florescent green.  A branch of little tomatoes too,  so very sweet in taste and in appearance.

I have painted them in gouache  these past few nights and now, like all good things, it is for the pot they go.  This is a recipe that my  daughter, Claire, and I love and recommend highly.  It came from Inside Out magazine a number of years ago.

 

Tian of Eggplant, Capsicum (red pepper) and Zucchini


Olive oil-to cook the eggplant and to put on top before the oven

2 med eggplants, sliced lengthwise into ½ cm slices

375 ml tomato pasta sauce

8 bocconcini, coarsely grated

1 tbsp chopped marjoram, also black pepper

125 g finely grated Parmesan

4 med zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ½ cm slices

2 med red capsicums, roasted, skin removed and cut into 8ths

 

Preheat oven to 175 C.  Pan fry or bake eggplant slices until golden brown on both sides.

Lay single layer of eggplant on bottom of baking dish.  Smear a little of the tomato sauce, a tbsp of grated bocconcini, pinch of marjoram, a scattering of Parmesan and a few grinds of black pepper.

Repeat the layering process using the uncooked zucchini and capsicum until all the vegetables are used.  Best to finish with the zucchini because they look the best.  Drizzle over a little olive oil and a generous sprinkle of the Parmesan.

Bake in the oven for about 40 min or until the veg seem tender.  Leave to rest for 20 min before serving.  Good to transport and great with bread.

1 comment:

  1. I catch a bus to and from work - I have particular land marks that I enjoy anticipating from my window seat. 2 of them are fruit shops in the morning. The produce is displayed with the morning sun bringing the arrangements to colourful life.

    ReplyDelete